Saturday, February 27, 2010

Life of a SLACer

So this weekend I saw Salt Lake Acting Company's production of Too Much Memory. Before I rant and rave about what I saw, I want to talk a little bit about how amazing this place is in genreal. So let's back it up a little and go back in time to a magical place called last semester in Acting 2.

This man, Chris Clark, had our class buy tickets to this random little theatre in Salt Lake. I had no clue what it was, but I was pretty happy because this place charges 50$ and over for season tickets, and we were getting them for around 30$.  What's not to enjoy? So with tickets in hand I go to this building:


Its a nice little place, but considering it used to be a church Im thinking of gym floors and cultural halls. Well, I walk in and the first thing that happens is one of the head hanchos of this place takes us around to check out the theatre. She shows us a little cafe with yummy food and the place is covered with photos and paintings by local artists. So far I am very pleased and we havent even gotten into the actual performance space yet. When we finally did wander in there, (and yes, we did wander in since they just let everyone float around the place) I am greeted with this remarkable set:


It really looks like it goes on forever, doesnt it? And its so brillaintly set. I suddenly knew that this show was going to be something special. Then the show started and I realized something else for the first time.

I ADORE HAROLD PINTER

Really though, it's true. The man is a genius, and this theatre is genius for pulling it off so well in an area where everone else in the world is doing 7 Brides for 7 Brothers for the umpteenth time. Anyways, the show is amazing, the set is amazing, and the actors are amazing. Particularly the actor Daniel Beecher as pictured below.


It was great.

So, thinking it was maybe a one time thing, I go to this place once again. To go see a show called Masterclass. 
Once again, it was amazing.
 Mezmerizing.

So I once again start getting excited as this week rolls around and I get ready to see the newest show, Too Much Memory, which is a modern retelling of the story of Antigone. I had just gotten back from KCACTF for a competition and was excited at the idea of seeing an actual theatre company perform and not a university. Don't get me wrong, Anton's Uncle and Tea were the best shows ever, but it's nice to see professional actors doing their thing on stage like at SLAC. 

So, I sit down in my chair, staring at another beautifully simplistic set and begin watching as the actors begin warming up on stage, making a square around the space with tape, and talking to the audience. This proved to be the overall feel of the show, and with only the exception of the chorus character, it worked very well.  In fact, the whole show was overall a great one.  In fact, the whole point of this entry is to say how much I love this theatre. SLAC is the best around. They're my new homeboys. End Scene.





No comments: