Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Universal Tongue of Movement


I recently returned from the KCACTF theatre conference in St. George. It was a great learning experience and I had a great time. I thought I would write a little bit about things I've learned while there. 

  • My school is awesome. We may not have won all the competitions, but our school had some of the most honest and natural actors I saw that week. Our teachers are doing well. Very well.
  • I am awesome. I know that sounds a little pigheaded of me, but its true. I learned some great things while I was there about strengths that I never knew I had. I will always be on the path of learning and progressing, but whenever an obstacle gets in my way, I'll overcome it. And if I don't right away, I will later. It's empowering to know that about oneself.
  • Winning is not the final goal. There was so much to learn from this aside from the competition alone. Some of these lessons I'm only learning now, which is why I've edited this post. We learn, we grow, and we move on a little wiser.
  •  Earplugs are truly a godsend. I was in a room full of snorers. I admit, I do too. I wont deny it. But I cant hear myself do it. I will never go anywhere without earplugs again. Thank you Levi.
I also want to take some time to write about shows that have changed the way I see my craft. I had the chance to see a show called Anton's Uncles while I was at KCACTF. It was phenomenal. It was a movement piece based on Chekov's Uncle Vanya. It was so fascinating to see how they used movement to convey the actors emotions. It wasn't just for spectacle. Everything they did had a purpose. Everything they did seemed like an outward execution of how these people felt inside. It was beyond words. In thinking of the show, I looked back on some of my other favorite shows. They all are my favorites for that same reasoning. That type of theatre connects with me in a very personal way. Here are some photos and clips from some of my favorites:




Another Picture of Anton's Uncles. It was performed by Theatre Movement Bazaar.



This is a still from Death of a Salesman by a New York based company called Theatre Mitu. I dont cry easily, especially when watching film or theatre, but I was an emotional mess after this show. 



This last picture was from a performance by the Montreal based circus troupe Cirque Eloize. It called Nebbia, the Italian word for Fog. I saw Cirque du Soleil shortly afterwards, but this show is the one that really touched me. So much was conveyed even though very little was spoken. 


I think the reason I loved these shows so much is because I didnt need to rely only on words to understand. There is something so noble and basic about the way our bodies move. It tells so much. I hope one day to be able to control my body in that way. I want to be able to craft stories that everyone, no matter the age, race, gender, or religion can relate to. I want to speak the universal tongue of movement.



No comments: